1. Skip the advertising and go for the foods that will power their bodies for life – give them as many vegetables as possible in as many forms – each is a packet of vitamins, minerals and nutrients that will help your child’s engines power.
2. Power pack their foods – kids bodies are super engines powering all the functions they need for optimum performance – muscles, brain power, processing and cleaning stations, growth and repair area etc etc.
3. Add foods that naturally sweeten food plus give them valuable vitamins minerals and roughage. For babies stewed foods – add pumpkin and squash or sweet potato to sweeten the taste. Use nutrient packed tomato sauces and pasta sauces with vegetables and meats giving them foods rich in vitamins and minerals.
4. For toddlers move to raw carrots, organic frozen peas and corn, steam yellow squash, peppers and broccoli.
5. Have fun with your food - we call broccoli “trees”. We use fun names for different shaped pasta –we call penne pasta, telescope pasta and give them some raw pasta to look through while waiting for their dinner. Spaghetti pasta is snake pasta because it slithers like a snake.
6. Rather than using ketchup or store brought tomato sauce we always make extra pasta sauce packed with vegetablesand give that to the kids to replace ketchup.
7. To encourage the kids to eat some veggies we give them “dipping sauce” using some of the pasta sauce. Broccoli trees taste great when dipped in some warmed pasta sauce as do carrot sticks and the kids love dipping them. (Remember don’t overcook them or they fall apart – aldante is the go here).
Brought to you by Snapatoonies Kids DVD’s - Brain food for your kids!