""Have you never, when waves were breaking, watched children at sport on the beach,
With their little feet tempting the foam-fringe, till with stronger and further reach than they dreamed of, a billow comes bursting, how they turn and scamper and screech!”
""A strange mixture of fear and joy comes with driving off from the hospital with your firstborn in the vehicle. There’s a powerful sense of transition and new beginning, and yet fear as well. It’s a fear closely attached to the question, "What do I do with this thing?" It’s a healthy fear born out of an awareness of the fragility of new life."
Chris Seidman, Little Buddy"
""Children are the brightest treasures we bring forth into this world, but too large a percentage of the population continues to treat them as inconveniences and nuisances, when they’re not treating them as possessions or toys."
Charles De Lint, The Onion Girl"
5 great ways to use your local library
Libraries are such a wonderful resource for little children and it is such a wonderful way to teach kids to love books. Here are some ways we have used our local and other nearby libraries:
1. Borrowed heaps of kid’s books. It is great to have new stories to read them and it saves so much money (and space).
2. Use the toy borrowing service if they have one. Some do – some don’t but encourage them to buy educational games and toys for your kids to use. Save you money and when the kids only use them once or twice – that is fine.
3. Join in their story reading program – Little ones love stories and good libraries always read a few stories and then have some activity for the kids to do. It’s a great way to meet other local mums too.
4. Borrow their CD’s and DVD’s for the kids – saves you buying them and you have fresh music or educational DVD’s for the kids to use.
5. Topic books – if they kids show an interest in a topic or you visit a location on vacation get some books from the library about it – pictures say a thousand words – especially to little ones.
6. Borrow their magazines. Magazines are expensive – borrow or read them at your library.
As a tax or rate payer in the area, you are paying for the library. While kids are young it is a great way to get good value for your money by using the library on a regular basis.
…enjoy… and have a snapatoonies kind of day :-)